Finding ourselves in difficult times or facing emotions that seem overwhelming can be shocking and scary. If we can know that these times will not last; that they will pass and try to stand back and observe we can manage ourselves much better. Here is a contemplation that will help in these times.
1. In a comfortable seated position with the spine held straight bring the awareness to your body starting at the toes and feet and working upwards to the top of the head. Then close your eyes.
2. Start to feel and observe your natural flow of breath. Then once you feel a little more settled and your mind begins to slow a little breathe deeply – longer inhalations and longer exhalations without force. Try to breathe into the belly and draw in the belly on the out breath.
3. Start to be aware of the outer sounds that surround you, notice how they are impermanent, they don’t last, how they come and go. Concentrate on one sound then move to another and another etc.
4. Bring the attention through the senses – smell; are there any smells, do they last? Is there any taste within the mouth; is it cool, warm or dry? Any patterns or colours behind the closed eyes? Then any feelings through the body any sensations? Try to feel your energy by concentrating at the palms of your hands and hold the energy within your hands, becoming grateful for that energy. You can also move on to the souls of your feet. Watch any thoughts that come into your mind, do they last? Observe them, see they are swift and come and go, they shift from one thought to another thought, just observe them like you are watching a movie of your thoughts.
5. Contemplate on an object of desire that you can remember from time back or even your child hood, something you really wanted. Something you may have worked hard for or saved for. Think – where is it now? Do you even remember?
6. Contemplate on the impermanence of this object – does it bring you happiness now? Contemplate on the impermanence of all things, time, experiences and feelings. Think about trying to start to let go of the current feelings that are disturbing you or on material things that have passed, jobs, friends people that have come and gone from your life, places that you have lived. Nothing is permanent.
7. Observe once again your current situation or feelings and know that this too is not permanent, let go let go let go.
8. Once you have observed and know that this will pass lie back in savasana and relax through the whole body, the whole body, the whole body relax.
9. Stay there for 10 minutes or even longer if you can. When you are ready gently wake up the body by moving the toes and fingers and gently sit up.
10. Either silently or out loud start the Dhyana on OM – repeating Om for as long as you feel you need. Tune yourself to OM. Let Om comfort you and bring security and stability.
We all go through times of adversity at some stage – and there is nothing wrong with asking for help if you need it, in fact this shows strength and not a weakness. Here are some valuable sites that can help.
Also please listen and join in with the chanting of OM here - https://soundcloud.com/nicola-zammit
Know that you are strong and you have courage and that you are a beautiful being.
Wishing you all shanti shanti shanti
Mangala / Nicky.