For the Filling –
4 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 large bananas peeled and sliced
4 tbsp raisens
1 tsp ground cinnamon
zest of ½ a lemon
For the topping –
100g rolled oats
75g wholewheat flour
50g organic butter
100ml of good organic honey or maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C, butter an ovenproof dish
2. Mix all the filling ingredients together and place in the baking dish
3. To make the topping, combine the oats and flour, heat the butter and honey until melted, stir the mixture into the oats and mix well and spoon the topping over the filling.
4. Place in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes until the filling is soft but not too runny and topping is golden brown.
5. Can serve with pure organic coconut milk for an added bonus!
We all love some sweet treats from time to time and this one is a pretty healthy one. Eat with your friends and family and celebrate food together with this tasty and satisfying desert that is good for the soul. Denying ourselves something sweet from time to time can be more damaging to our spirits than helpful, although we should try not to rely on these sweet moments to bring a smile to our hearts, that smile is already there, the sweetness of food may bring a fleeting moment of happiness but it is not lasting, true happiness is already within us and too much yummy sweetness just makes us feel unwell, but for now go on treat yourself with a little scrumptiousness!
If apples and bananas aren’t your thing then you can use any fruit either your favourite or what is in season is best, eating foods out of season isn’t good for the balance and harmony of the body with the earth.
Recipe from Yoga Your Home Companion printed by the Sivananda Vedanta Centre.
After eating sit in Vajrasana the thunderbolt pose, kneel on the floor with the knees together, the big toes are touching and the heels a little separated. Lower the buttocks onto the inside surface of your feet, place the hands onto your thighs, the back and head should be straight but not tense, close the eyes and relax the arms and the whole body. Breathe normally and fix your attention on your breath. Sit for as long as you are comfortable, this posture increases the efficiency of the whole digestive system as well as other benefits but will aid the process of digestion after you have eaten.
With love and OM Shanti
Mangala / Nicky.