I am always talking about turmeric and have always bought it in its powdered form. But after a visit to an organic market and finding a plant I decided to grow it myself and am loving a richer smell, flavor and texture from it in its original form. Turmeric is one of the most effective nutritional supplements, one that Indians have know about for centuries and is used widely in ayruvedic cooking, curries and rice. It has a beautiful green leaf that looks great in the garden, and when its ready for harvest just dig down and bring up the root, this is what you then grate into your stews, curries and rice dishes and here are 9 reasons why to include this golden magic into your food.
1. It has powerful medicinal qualities.
2. It is a natural anti-inflammatory.
3. It is a natural antibiotic.
4. A very strong antioxidant and helps in preventing cancers.
5. It lowers the risk of brain disease and improves on brain function.
6. It lowers the risk of heart disease.
7. It can delay the aging effect.
8. It is a great help in combating arthritis.
9. It can help with overcoming depression.
1. Growing it gets you out into nature.
I love it for improving my brain function and delaying the aging effect, haha I obviously need to grow more!!! You can grate the root after washing straight into your cooking, or make a warming drink with either soya milk or milk with a little ginger and cardamom, yum just before bed.
Enjoy growing your turmeric and getting out in the garden more and watching nature’s magic. Gardening improves our moods and can connect us back to the universal energy and stimulate the blissful layer (anandamaya kosha) of our being. Something we all deserve as living entities is to live joyfully and peacefully with nature. And then you know that your herbs and veggies are truly organic.
For now wishing you a wonderful bright day full of turmeric!
Om shanti shanti shanti
Mangala / Nicky.