Friday, May 25, 2018

Trikonasana - my asana of the month


Trikonasana – the triangle pose is the last of the 12 basic asana practiced within the Sivananda sequence, and I love finishing with it and its variations.  This asana targets the areas that take the brunt of our insecurities strengthening our physical but also our emotional body.  It enables us to find space through the side of the body whilst firmly grounding us to the earth through our legs and feet.  We push downwards through the lower body whilst reaching to the side giving extension that encourages us to release emotions and encourage healing.  We can start to address the pain we might be carrying in the back as we also extend through the shoulders and neck, which are two other places we can accumulate tension.  We can start to combat unsteadiness by focusing on concentrated breathing and as we push into the earth more thus bringing stability.  Many of us live in various states of high frequency stress and these vibrations can build up in the hips, trikonasana is a very powerful tool to open up the hips and strengthen both physically, emotionally and energetically.
I love the variation of parvita trikonasana or revolved triangle as you can really feel that force of opposition as one hand is grounded to the earth and the other is lifting up to the sky through the fingertips.  In every posture it is possible to feel that opposition of forces but for me this really becomes powerful here as I breathe.  This variation brings more flexibility and increases our capabilities of balance.
In a nutshell I love Trikonasana and it is my chosen asana of the month, it helps me to stay calmer and more in control of emotions, it reaches out to the moon making her steady and increases self-awareness making us more mindful.  Through finding the space in this pose through the body, I also find space for the mind, a gap, a breath that deepens, a pause and a time for stillness in alignment with the universal energy both internally and externally.  To me through the practice and from the feeling I can fully understand why Sri Swami Sivananda places this asana at the end before final relaxation.  It grounds me and lifts me, allows the space I need to find to release me from the bondage of my mind before lying down into savasana.
Trikonasana – I love you!

Physical benefits –
1.The spinal nerves and abdominal organs are toned.
2.The digestive organs are stimulated giving better working condition of the bowels, assists digestion and improves on appetite.
3.The chest expands, opens and relaxes.
4.The liver and spleen are massaged and secrete more abundantly.
5.It keeps the spine elastic and amplifies the half spinal twist.
6.Promotes hip and leg flexibility.
7.General circulation will increase and be invigorated.
8.The body becomes lighter and you will find that if you practice this pose with integrity and determination your other asana will also improve.

Watch out for common mistakes such as bent knees, the head not in line with the spine and the upper arm is bent.

Practice with deep focused breathing, with mindfulness and slowly, the longer you hold the greater the benefits you will feel.  Become able to handle challenges whilst staying calm and relaxed.
Enjoy your beautiful triangles and become aligned to the stars.
Love from the heart
Mangala / Nicky

1 comment: