Monday, April 13, 2020

Yoga Mangala goes facebook live - with mixed feelings!


Traditionally we learn yoga and the yogic way of life - Dharma by living, working and studying with the teacher: this is called the Gurukula system.  Guru meaning teacher and Kula is home.  In ancient times students would usually remain at the ashram for 12 years, taught philosophy, the main paths of yoga  as well as the practical elements of pranayama, asana, meditation and karma yoga.  Today Yoga and yoga classes seem to be available in every shape and form and have been stretched further and further to suit fashions, glamour and fads.  Yoga Mangala holds high importance of keeping the teachings as a living tradition and always taught from personal experience.  In today's current climate where we are staying home due to covid -19 outbreak I have been asked to go online.  This is something I have never approached before or had any inclination to - in fact I have to say it is something that actually I have not agreed with at all.  It has always been of upmost importance to me that when you come to my sessions that you feel that you are being looked after, cared for, given what is needed and energy transferred through me to you.  How is that possible through a screen where I can't even see you and know if you need a little help? However considering our current situation and of a way of offering support I agreed to make facebook live sessions, to keep people in practice, elevate spirits and give a set of tools to help address the difficulties that we may be going through.  In fact now after making 16 of these sessions, I am almost feeling that somehow and even though the sessions are short mini practices that some sort of Gurukulu system is taking place.  I am not sure at this stage where this is going to go and what it means for me as a teacher, but one very wonderful thing is that I have been able to re-connect with many practitioners that I have taught from all over the world, that normally wouldn't be attending my sessions here in Casablanca where I am based for now.  I am still in the very mixed feeling stages of this process and there is certainly not an enjoyment of instructing an image of myself in a little box, however I have received some wonderful messages from people that are finding these sessions helpful or are even helping them to get back into practice.  So lets see what happens, for now you can view these 'little Mangala' practices that include asana (yogic postures) pranayama (breathing techniques) meditations and a little chanting on the YOGA mangala facebook page or on my personal page - Nicky Zammit.  Please do also feel free to connect with me there and to leave a comment under the clips to say hi and let me know how you are doing.   
For now breathe, observe how you are feeling and know that everything is going to be alright.
Sending my thoughts and wishes to everyone, to your time and finding inspiration within yourself.
AUM shanti shanti shanti
Love and in gratitude of our great Guru's 
Mangala / Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment